Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer
Experience:  dasdasd
23431962

Got a ticket - VC 21650 - right half of the road for

Customer Question

Got a ticket - VC 21650 - right half of the road for temporarily utilizing the shoulder as the cars in front of me were blocking my access to the carpool lane.
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: other than the citation being issued, no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Expert:  Expert James replied 4 months ago.

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience.

So what is your question?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Should i contest?

OK, thanks. Please give me a moment to prepare the response.

Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. When you see the option to rate, please do so with a positive rating of 4 or 5 stars. Otherwise, I do not get credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!

ANSWER: I cannot tell you whether you should or should not contest the ticket. Although I am an attorney, I am not YOUR attorney. For that, I think it is best to sit with an attorney who specializes in traffic laws of California.

Now, I have looked at the statute and I think you might have an argument. The statute says, in part:

"Upon all highways, a vehicle shall be driven upon the right half of the roadway, except as follows:

...

"(f) When the vehicle is necessarily traveling so slowly as to impede the normal movement of traffic, that portion of the highway adjacent to the right edge of the roadway may be utilized temporarily when in a condition permitting safe operation."

You might have an argument based on the fact that the normal flow of traffic was impeded so you used the lane immediately adjacent to it. I think that might be your best play here.

I hope that answers your question. Please remember to click on a rating at the top of your screen and hit the submit button - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going. I see you have reviewed my answer but the question is still open and no credit has been given. Do you require additional assistance? Please let me know. Thank you!