Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

We have a filed judgement against a convicted criminal who

Customer Question

we have a filed judgement against a convicted criminal who will be out of parole may 17 can we garnish wages and how do we go about doing that
JA: Since parole regulations vary, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: the state is new jersey and the amount is $575,000
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: we have a criminal action restitution order filed with the court in Hackensack NJ
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
never received anything on my request...what's up
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under NJ laws, you can file a motion for garnishment in the court that issued the judgment. The court can garnish only up to 25% of the wages that exceed $217 per week. So, before you file to garnish his wages, you need to make sure he has a job and then you would file for garnishment and serve his employer with the writ of garnishment.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.