Marsha411JD, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Atty, 29 yrs exp in the practice of law.
19127644

I was pulled over earlier (around 2 am) for a headlight that

Customer Question

Hi, I was pulled over earlier (around 2 am) for a headlight that was out but the officer also insinuated that I had been swerving all over the road. He asks for my license only and then proceeds to check my info He comes back with two warnings, one for the headlight, and the other for the "traffic violation"
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I sign both copies and he lets me go, he thens follows me to my house and pulls me over a second time, this time he states that he didn't know it was me. I feel like I was being harassed.. Georgia
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: He gave me to copies of the warnings, yes
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yeah the guy followed me home not even within 15 minutes of him letting me go
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The following are records of what happened early Tuesday morning just after 2 amI was pulled over by Gwinnett County Police officer W.J. Hilton (badge #1844) at around 2:03 am. Officer Hilton approached the right side of my car, and proceeded to ask me why I was being pulled over. I told him I didn't know why, he stated that my front right headlight was out. I said I didn't know it was out, he also stated that I had been swerving into the other lane. Officer Hilton asked if I had been drinking, I responded no. He then asked me where I was coming from, I told him Studio Movie Grill (a movie theater). He had a hostile tone of voice when he asked what exactly what that was, I told him it was a theater. Officer Hilton asked me where I was headed, I said home. Next he requested to see just my license and proceeded to check my info. After waiting about 15 minutes, the officer returns back to the right side of the car with two warning citations, one for the headlight, the other for “failure to obey traffic control”. I then said ok, then he raised his voice and said “What?” I responded to him by saying I wasn’t drunk and I barely swerved, the officer hands me the warnings and says it doesn't matter you need to obey traffic rules. I signed both warnings then left. Within about 15 minutes I pull into the front entrance of my subdivision and officer Hilton is behind me, he pulls me over again. He walks up to the driver side this time and says “Oh I didn't know it was you”. I just stared. The officer asks me where have I been, he let me go 15 mins ago, I told him I was going home when he pulled me over the first time, then he says “well I pulled you over because of the headlight.” I said right, then he reiterates that he didn't know it was me after just having me pulled over on the side of Highway 141 for about 20 minutes, officer hilton lets me go and went about his way.
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 5 months ago.

Do you have a legal question we can help you with?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I want to know what are my rights if a police officers follows me home?

Thank you for your question. There is nothing unlawful in the police officer's actions as you described them. Certainly if this activity occurred on several days, that might rise to harassing behavior that you could perhaps obtain an injunction against through your attorney. However, without more than what you described, the most you can do is file a complaint with his supervisor. But, I have to say, that complaint isn't likely to result in much action other than perhaps the supervisor asking the officer about the situation, which may be enough to let the officer know they should concentrate on other law enforcement needs in the community. If you had some evidence that this was occurring more than once and that you were being profiled because of your race or national origin, then there might be a legal issue of a civil rights violation.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed.

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 9th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.