Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I made a verbal agreement with a contractor to do some work

Customer Question

I made a verbal agreement with a contractor to do some work work. Nothing was sign and no deposit was exchanged. I decided not to use him after i reviewed more of his poor workmanship. He now is threatening a lean unless I pay him for his time.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Utah
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No He sent me a bill for 1500 for his time which was nothing really, and a 1500 bill from a engineer who did nothing
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Because I was in the middle of getting a second on the house, I paid the 3,000 to prevent a lean. My intent is to get that money back
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

If the contractor did not work for the money he received, you can file a Small Claim against him to try to get the amount that he forced you to pay him. You can obtain Small Claim forms at your local Courthouse in the Clerk's office. You can also download the forms online.

Goodluck with your case,