How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 19472
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I made a verbal agreement with a contractor to do some work

Customer Question

I made a verbal agreement with a contractor to do some work work. Nothing was sign and no deposit was exchanged. I decided not to use him after i reviewed more of his poor workmanship. He now is threatening a lean unless I pay him for his time.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Utah
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No He sent me a bill for 1500 for his time which was nothing really, and a 1500 bill from a engineer who did nothing
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Because I was in the middle of getting a second on the house, I paid the 3,000 to prevent a lean. My intent is to get that money back
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 4 months ago.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

If the contractor did not work for the money he received, you can file a Small Claim against him to try to get the amount that he forced you to pay him. You can obtain Small Claim forms at your local Courthouse in the Clerk's office. You can also download the forms online.

Goodluck with your case,