INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses
11313492

I apologize my computer screen switch, I am feeling harassed

Customer Question

I apologize my computer screen switch, Hi my name is***** am feeling harassed by my finance company for a vehicle I purchased in 2012 I am receiving calls, text, calls from family members etc. I do make late payments but I do pay and sometimes these calls or text come before my due date. Today I received a very disturbing email from this finance company, saying things like we see you have applied for a credit card. Call us to set up your next payment. This is getting very frustrating especially when whatever I apply for has nothing to do with them. I would like to know where I stand legally in this matter.
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the car?
Customer: I live in Illinois, the card is a 2012 I purchased it new, I still have the vehicle and because of my late payments with all the interest and late fees I still owe about 12,000. car
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: that about sums it up but this is ongoing almost every week
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 4 months ago.
You are entitled to be free of harassment and only contacted in writing. You have a few options. Let me outline them. You can pursue a complaint in civil court. You may sue for losses suffered plus costs and interest. You can also file a complaint with the attorney general office. You can threaten these options before pursuing and use for leverage. local counsel can also get involved! A lawyer letter alone can often bring about a settlement as the other side realizes that you are serious and gets concerned about its risk and legal fees. You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way. If needed, martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.