Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  17 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

Im looking for a tenant landlord lawyer to give me basic

Customer Question

Hi
JA: Hi. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: Im looking for a tenant landlord lawyer to give me basic advises
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: I live in NJ have a lease that will expire on May 15.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not yet my lease will expire on May 15 and I need to know my rights. My payments are on time as always
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My landlord gave me 2 months notice to terminate the lease and is refusing to negotiate with me. I have a wedding come up that was arranged since 6 monhts ago and my mom is undergoing a surgery I cant move now
Expert:  Barrister replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses, but rest assured, I am working on your question. The website may offer a phone call option, but it is optional.

.

If you can post your legal question, I will do my best to help..

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
HI
I need to speak to a lawyer regarding my lease termination

Those phone call offers are not generated by me, but rather by the JustAnswer website. I do not participate in the phone call program for the site and limit my interaction with customers only to the website because I like to have time to think about a customer’s question and research it so I can provide the best answer possible.

.

However, if you have requested a phone call with an attorney, your request will post to other experts that do offer this service. When another attorney accepts your request you will get additional instructions.

.

I am more than happy to continue on the website though if you can post your question and any relevant details..

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok
My issue is simple ...
Its my second year at the property, never paid late, never had any issue with landord. Begining of this year we spoke and he demonstrate interest in renewing again.
I have my wedding coming up in June which was confirmed on February and my mom is undergoing to a serious health issue which I'm trying to manage with all.
Last minute landlord send me a notice 60 days saying that he decided to sale the property and asking me to move.
I called him back and explained that I need at least 3 months extra to go thru the wedding and have my mom's surgery situated and he didnt want to negotiate with me.
Can he proceed with eviction ?

Ok, thank you for that information..

.

I am afraid that I don't have good news for you because in NJ when a fixed term lease ends, so does the tenant's rights to use and possession. That is the purpose of a fixed term lease... it has a set start date and a set end date..

.

And in the same respect that the landlord couldn't force you to stay on if your lease was up and you wanted to move, you can't force the landlord to continue the tenancy if he doesn't want to do so.

.

Unfortunately the other things you have going on at the same time don't have any legal bearing on the contractual relationship with the landlord..

.

So if he is being a jerk and is not willing to extend your lease, then he can literally file to evict you the day after it expires and get a judgment and a writ that the sheriff would execute to force you to vacate in about 3-4 weeks...

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.