LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 3 decades of experience in the legal field.
15277592

I have a judgement in Idaho. The defendant moved to Utah. Do

Customer Question

I have a judgement in Idaho. The defendant moved to Utah. Do I need a foreign judgement filed in Utah and if so where do I file it. Or can I do an Idaho garnishment and sheriff office execute it
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Idaho judgement. Utah is where the person resides and work
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: It's filed in Idaho where the case originated
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I don't think so
Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Yes, you will need to take your judgment to Utah and have the judgment domesticated there by filing a suit to enforce a sister-state judgment. The debtor will then be served with the Utah suit and unless they can show that the judgment is faulty the Utah court will issue a duplicate Utah Judgment that the sheriff there can enforce.

You may reply back to me again if you have additional questions, and I will continue to assist you.

I am not an employee of this site and I am only paid for helping you when you rate my service to you. Please remember to rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars on your screen (preferably 5-Stars) so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours well in 2017,

Doug

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Where do I file to have the judgement domesticated
Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 months ago.

You need to domesticate the judgment in the court which is located in the same county and state where the defendant/debtor lives.

You may reply to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I can address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars on your screen so that I can be compensated for helping you. I am not an employee of the site and I am only paid when you rate my service to you. There is no cost to you related to your rating my service to you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours well in 2017,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 months ago.

Good afternoon,

Is there anything else I can assist you with today? It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars so that I can be compensated for assisting you? Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you.

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service. It is greatly appreciated.

I wish you the best in 2017,

Doug