INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses
11313492

Second opinion] I recently entered into a settlement

Customer Question

Second opinion] I recently entered into a settlement agreement. After I signed one version of the release of claims, the defendant came back asking that I sign a different version that includes more specific language. Since there were items I didn't get in writing at the time the settlement was reached, can I use this opportunity to ask them to put certain items in writing in exchange for my signing a new release agreement? In particular, I would like for their external counsel (as well as my lawyers) to agree not to conduct any promotion around the case whatsoever. In addition, I'd like for the defendant to agree to return video evidence provided in the case. Are these requests I can make in exchange for signing an updated release of claims?
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 5 months ago.
you may negotiate such terms. You are entitled to see such further protections which don't cost the other side anything so consent should not be a problem. If I can clarify or explain anything further, just ask me. kindly rate me 5 stars.