Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

If a person had a drug case in oklahoma and was dismissed,

Customer Question
and the da appeals that...
if a person had a drug case in oklahoma and was dismissed, and the da appeals that desision and wins on appeal, how would oklahoma get that person back there if the person is in missouri?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?
Customer: Missouri
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: the persons lawyer from oklahoma called and said the judge will give him a date to be back for trial
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: but if the guy decides not to go to oklahoma when he is told to, there would be a warrant issued but could any state serve the warrant?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
5/8/2017
Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Marsha411JD, Attorney

Thank you for the information and your question. Although another State can come and arrest the person based on the warrant issued in Oklahoma, often they don't. However, if the individual is ever stopped for any reason by the police and they run their information through the system, they would discover the warrant and hold them for extradition to Oklahoma. The warrant does not expire and as long as the person is out of Oklahoma the statute of limitations is tolled. That means that the State of Oklahoma has an indefinite time to prosecute as long as the accused stays out of State. So, this will hang over their head until they face the charges and resolve them.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating of my efforts to discuss the law as it relates to your question, then the Site will give me credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 8th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating,please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.

Marsha411JD, Attorney