How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118074
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife was in an auto accident. A schoolbus ran thruogh

Customer Question

My wife was in an auto accident. A schoolbus ran thruogh stop sign . she is not hurt but seeking damages for car. The owner or several buses had no insurance on bus for a year. Also driver licence was expired. The bus had about 20 primary children on h us that they quickly loaded to another1 bus.ur resposibility to make sure those bus card I ng children are insured. Anyhow, we are seeking damages. Also it is
JA: License regulations vary from place to place, so can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Louisiana
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: We had to go through our insurance co. To fix auto. Other than that this is where we are at. Trying to get to the next step.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have all pertinent information.
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
It is against state law to have an uninsured vehicle so you need to report this to LA DMv and they will pursue the company. The problem is that if all she has is a damaged car, all she is entitled to is repair of the damage and if your insurer is repairing the car, it is up to your insurer to go after her and not you. The LA law says that once you file with your insurer, your insurer has the right then to pursue the third party if your insurer pays you. The deductible payment is something you could seek to sue the company for in Justice of the Peace or Small Claims court, depending on your Parish. You also need to file a complaint about the lack of insurance to the Parish DA and Council and they will seek to shut the company down.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.