A married man wishes to make a gift to his offspring above…

Good morning Gerald. A married man...
Good morning Gerald.
A married man wishes to make a gift to his offspring above and beyond the annual exclusion amount.
QUESTION: Is such a gift automatically considered to be a split gift or can he make it as a gift just from himself, thereby saving his wife's assets from being counted against her lifetime exclusion amount?
5/2/2017
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

It is not automatically a split gift. How the gift is characterized depends on the intent of the donor(s). It is easiest enough to include a note or card (keep a copy) that says: "Here is a gift from your Father" vs. "Here is a Gift from me and Dawn."

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow up question and I do not respond immediately it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

NOT that the card or note is a requirement. Testimony alone is sufficient evidence, but it is always nice to have a contemporaneous writing.

Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer