How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 6423
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name was slandered in a letter to the New York State

This answer was rated:

My name was slandered in a letter to the New York State Division of Housing and Community Renewal. The Landlord made a false statement and my guess is her lawyer informed her not to move forward with the case. My kife has been a living hell and I want to seek restitution.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state you're in?
Customer: New Rochelle, New York.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: She filed a Ten Day Notice To Cure With a Seventeen Day Notice To Vacate With the New York State Division of Housing and Community Renewal Division.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, I have been harassed by other tenants and I can also support discrimination via photos take as I have a disability and I was cited for parking in the driveway to unload my parcels while numerous tenants park in the driveway and nothing is said.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review your inquiry. Thank you for your patience.

Under New York law, the elements of a defamation claim are:

  1. a false statement;
  2. published to a third party without privilege or authorization;
  3. with fault amounting to at least negligence;
  4. that caused special harm or defamation per se.

See Dillon v. City of New York, 261 A.D.2d 34, 38 (N.Y.A.D. 1 Dept. 1999). You can seek restitution for your damages by filing a civil action against the LL for defamation and proving up these legal elements with supporting facts/evidence.

Note: Just Answer’s site disclaimer apply to all services including premium services. This information may not be correct, complete or reflect current legal developments for your specific jurisdiction. Please do not act or fail to act based on it alone. Most follow-up questions are answered within 24 hours. Please assign a feedback rating when we are done so JA will compensate me for this answer. Thank you.

Maverick and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you