Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My name was slandered in a letter to the New York State

Division of Housing and...
My name was slandered in a letter to the New York State Division of Housing and Community Renewal. The Landlord made a false statement and my guess is her lawyer informed her not to move forward with the case. My kife has been a living hell and I want to seek restitution.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state you're in?
Customer: New Rochelle, New York.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: She filed a Ten Day Notice To Cure With a Seventeen Day Notice To Vacate With the New York State Division of Housing and Community Renewal Division.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, I have been harassed by other tenants and I can also support discrimination via photos take as I have a disability and I was cited for parking in the driveway to unload my parcels while numerous tenants park in the driveway and nothing is said.
4/22/2017
Maverick
Maverick, Attorney

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review your inquiry. Thank you for your patience.

Under New York law, the elements of a defamation claim are:

1. a false statement;
  2. published to a third party without privilege or authorization;
  3. with fault amounting to at least negligence;
  4. that caused special harm or defamation per se.

See Dillon v. City of New York, 261 A.D.2d 34, 38 (N.Y.A.D. 1 Dept. 1999). You can seek restitution for your damages by filing a civil action against the LL for defamation and proving up these legal elements with supporting facts/evidence.

Note: Just Answer’s site disclaimer apply to all services including premium services. This information may not be correct, complete or reflect current legal developments for your specific jurisdiction. Please do not act or fail to act based on it alone. Most follow-up questions are answered within 24 hours. Please assign a feedback rating when we are done so JA will compensate me for this answer. Thank you.

Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Maverick
Maverick
Maverick, Attorney