Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
97407003

Are you able to answer for Calif? Does the lawyer answer

Customer Question

Are you able to answer for Calif?
JA: No. I'm the Lawyer's Assistant.
Customer: Does the lawyer answer questions for Calif?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: California
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: This is a probate question pertaining to executor duties
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, my husbands sister is the executor for their moms house. Mom died last July and the executor wants to wait until she retires then come to Calif from Florida to make a decision on selling the house. There are 3 other siblings who could use proceeds now and not have to wait until it is convenient for the executor.
JA: Do you share ownership of the property? If so, is it as tenants in common, or as joint tenants?
Customer: The home is being rented
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 6 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a California attorney with Just Answer. I'll be here to help today! Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

By the way, the system will automatically ask for a phone call. By no means are you required to accept it.

There are different time limits imposed on the executors of estates that are in California. Here are the ones listed:

1. Notify the Dept. of Health of the death: 3 months (if she was receiving medi-cal benefits)

2. Inventory and Appraisal: 4 months after the death

3. Notice to creditors and payment: 4 months after death

4. Pay taxes: Usually by the tax deadline

5. Closing the estate: There is no ironclad deadline here, but if the time is unreasonable (years, for example) then the beneficiaries can challenge her as being the executor of the estate and request that the court appoint a new executioner.

Follow up questions are free so did you have any additional questions? If not, were you satisfied with my service today?

Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I noticed that we never had a chance to reconnect on this. I’m totally ready to help. Did you have any follow up questions for me or any other facts to add? If not, would you be so kind as to rate your opinion of my service?