How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 8775
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can you offer less than what a judgement is for.

Customer Question

How can you offer less than what a judgement is for.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Michigan
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: the debt is from 2001 but they keep filing judgements
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I would like to clear this off my credit report
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 6 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 6 months ago.

If the debt is that old and the holder of it, has yet to get paid, I have to believe they want to settle this already and see some money. As such, you can reach out to them over the phone or via email and speak with them and present an offer. In situations like these, the offer is going to need to be paid in a lump sum. You can start low and try and offer around 30% of the debt or whatever you feel is a good starting point and see how they respond. If you can agree, this can be reduced to writing and you can pay, in full satisfaction of the debt and as part of the agreement, as that they report this to the credit agencies.