How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 55459
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I asked another contractor (my brother in law) to help me on

Customer Question

I asked another contractor (my brother in law) to help me on a construction job by sending out someone to help finish the job we were on. he said it would cost 450.00 a day. me and my 2 partners agreed and he sent two guys out for 3 days. i paid him 1500.00 now he wants me to pay him another 1000.00 and is threatening to take me to court, can someone change a verbal agreement after the fact? My company did not even make enough on job to cover that.
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason. Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Florida
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: He said he was going to go to courthouse today to file.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

Good morning. Although you can never prevent someone from filing a suit against you, he would have no chance of prevailing. He has no legal basis for unilaterally changing the terms of your contractual relationship. Just as you wouldn't have had the right to unilaterally tell him you were paying him 1/2 of what was agreed upon, he has no right to unilaterally change the amount owed upward. You had the legal right to rely upon his agreement and if he made an error in his estimate, that's his burden, not yours.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!