How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118688
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 15 year old daughter that was studying in North

Customer Question

Good morning. I have a 15 year old daughter that was studying in North Carolina for 2 years. We are both Mexican nationals and obtained for her the corresponding I-20. The main reason why my daughter was in the US, aside from her education, was to give her the opportunity to take riding lessons with a US professional rider. So my daughter was enrolled at a HHPrep in Noth Carolina and into International Riding Academy (independent from HHPrep). In December 2016 her riding instructor convienced me that my daughter will greatly benefit from attending a riding circuit in Florida (Wellington). Arrangements were made with HHPrep so my daughter could continue her education on line. By January 2017 my gauge te and her instructor travelled and settled in a "ranch" near Wellington, Florida were instead of receiving her regular riding lessons and attending shows she had to work almost all day around other people horses 8And her own) and was hardly allow any time to continue with her academic studies. In addition instead of the nice home I was promised that she would receive she was living in unsafe, unclean enviroment. By the middle of January I learned that her instructor left the "ranch´ to travel back to Carolina to attend business and she was left alone with another minor in the "ranch", without any food and with the obligation of taking care of horses. There was a tornado altera and the instructor did not care and she just left the 2 kids alone. When I learned about the situation I immediately call the instructor who assured me that everything g was under control and that an adult friend of her was supervising the kids. As it turned out they were unsupervised and even were involved in a car accident (Without any consciences, except that both kids --the other kid is 17-- were alone). I immediately took care of the matter and moved my child from the instructors care. She promised that she would reimburse me for the training fees and living expenses I paid in advanced, but now she is saying that she would not do it. The question: do I have grounds to sue her for not taking care of my daughter and obtain punitive damages and a reimbursement of what I paid her in advance (6 months of tuition plus living expenses)?
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: How do I pay. When do I get the newer to my question?
JA: PayPal, Debitcard or credit card are all fine. Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Florida
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The agreement with her instructor was a verbal one (mostly emails and phone conversations) while she was in South Carolina, from there she traveled to Florida were the matter arose.
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You have grounds to sue her if the child was harmed or suffered emotional distress from being abandoned and also you have grounds to sue for breach of contract for not providing the training, supervision, boarding and care promised.
Additionally, you have grounds to file criminal charges against the owner for abandoning the children as it is deemed child abuse and FL Child Protective Services will investigate and will pursue criminal charges against the owner.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.