How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 13652
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am the legal executor of my mother in laws estate (really

This answer was rated:

I am the legal executor of my mother in laws estate (really isn't much) however now she is critically ill in her home and has 2 of her adult children staying with her. Supposedly as she is not with us for much longer they are taking care of her meds with hospice and it's about keeping her out of pain which I completely understand. However other family members have told me the meds are not all accounted for and the 2 that are there have pretty heavy scripts themselves. They will not allow me to talk to her on the phone and are now posting items from her home (generator today) for sale online. I am expecting a call from hospice tomorrow but how can I make sure she is safe and fulfill my agreement?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Sandpoint, Idaho
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not so far...I'm unsure how ton go about that
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm so worried about her and In don't know what to do but this is my responsibility

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good evening,

I'm very sorry to hear about your mother-in-law. Your duties as the executor don't actually start until she passes away and you are appointed by the court, and your duties are to settle her estate.

If you are her attorney-in-fact under a Power of Attorney and it gives you authority to do so, you could make the children leave the home. Additionally, you could send the POA to all of her doctors, hospice, etc. and insist that they deal only with you directly. If there is no POA, and your mother-in-law is not willing to appoint you, or no longer has the competency to sign such a document, you could petition for guardianship of her, but doing so is a complex, and generally costly process.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What can I do as a concerned family member to document all the transactions to the law?

I don't know what kind of proof you may have, but definitely hold onto anything -for example, if you found a Craigslist ad or ad on Facebook selling her things, and you don't believe she granted consent, print the ad or take screen shots. If family members are willing to give statements about missing pills, you should have them write something up. If they can get photos of items that might be missing from the house (if her kids are selling her things -yes, I've heard of it happening in situations like this) that would be great too.

If you believe they are abusing or neglecting her, you may also wish to contact a local Area Agency on Aging. The Idaho Commission on Aging helps provide services to reduce or eliminate risk of harm. You can find all that information here:

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Wow...excellent advice.

My pleasure to help. Please remember to click on the stars to leave a positive rating so that I am credited by the site for my help this evening. Thank you!

RobertJDFL and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Was there anything I could clarify about my answer or additional information you needed? If so, please reply without rating and I'll be happy to assist further!

Otherwise, If I've addressed all of your questions regarding this matter, please remember to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars so I am credited for my time (it costs nothing extra to do so). Experts receive no salary and are otherwise not paid until you rate the answer positively. Thank you!