N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Lawyer
Experience:  attorney at self
9653905

What is a "passive investment"? I am in the US...Maine. I am

Customer Question

what is a "passive investment"?
JA: What province are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am in the US...Maine. I am retired, have a large income and a healthy portfolio.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: NO, I still don't know whether I'd qualify. I'm trying to find out whether I could qualify; I'm 75 and in very good health, fully independent and have several interests. I currently live in a retirement community.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I would be interested in living in Ottowa. I have searched several retirement communities and talked to an advisor about communities. I believe I can easily afford any of them.
Expert:  N Cal Atty replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for your question.

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/passiveinvesting.asp has one explanation. Basically a passive investment is one that does not require the owner to do anything after purchase. Buying a stock or a work of art as an investment is generally considered a pasive investment. Buying a building that requires the investor to manage it day to day would be an exampe of an active investment.

I hope this information is helpful.