How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118267
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have unpaid debt from business I closed in 2008.I am an

Customer Question

I have unpaid debt from business I closed in 2008.I am an optometrist in Ct not
Able to work more than PT because of joint issues due to RA. Anyway when I did work I opened an LLC WITH TIN
INSTEAD OF USING SS# ***** fear of garnished wages. Couldn't declare bankruptcy needed to sell equipment.
I had 4 judgements against me for around 100,000. I was worried they'd garnish wages so opened LLC. Now that it's 2017 do you think if I open personal account to deposit a modest inheritance money can be garnished in CT. I know collectors still can bother me by phone but they don't bet often. Family members are sometimes bothered. I don't own anything my house was foreclosed on in 2010. Occasionally I receive mail looking to settle on less.
Can't afford to do this. Question is can they still come after money after these many years if I open a personal bank account and put money in under SS#?
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If the judgments were against you personally, then a judgment in CT is valid for 25 years. See: CT Statute 52-508. So they can continue to seek to enforce that judgment against you for 25 years from the date of the judgment and if you open an account in your SSN you could be faced with them placing a levy on your account.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.