Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

A group of citizens sued 4 members of our city council for

A group of citizens sued 4 members of our city council for OML violations and won. However, they did not win all they asked for and have filed an appeal. There is an overall disapproval by the rest of the citizens of our city and we want it to stop. Will a petition help?
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: this is not traffic, it's City Council Open Meeting Law violations. I'm in Minnesota
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes. The defendants in the case did get fined for some of the OML violations and paid their fines. Now, the Plaintiffs have appealed the decision and is in the Appeals Court now.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am trying to get them to stop the appeal. I am trying to figure out a way to do this.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
A petition will not stop an appeal I am afraid. The only way to stop an appeal is to negotiate with the other party and come up with something that will satisfy them as a settlement to get them to voluntarily withdraw their appeal. They must withdraw the appeal on their own voluntarily, so you have to negotiate with them to withdraw the appeal somehow with some settlement deal or you will have to answer the appeal and object to the additional things they are asking for.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks. I found this answer on the Internet, but wanted to confirm.
Thank you for your reply.
While you may have found the answer elsewhere and wanted to confirm, the experts on this site are not employees of the site so, please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.