Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

If I buy somebody an iPhone or a wireless headset and it

Customer Question

If I buy somebody an iPhone or a wireless headset and it burns up and they get her will I be liable
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 6 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

The giver of a gift that malfunctions and injures the recipient is not liable for injuries caused, unless there was evidence that you knew or had reason to know the item was defective and could cause a problem. However, the person who got a gift can sue anyone in the chain of commerce for her injuries - meaning the manufacturer or the retailer. She's not prohibited from seeking compensation just because she received the product as a gift.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Do you have any questions about this?