Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

IF YOU RESIDE IN A RETIREMENT HOME AND THEY SUDDENLY IMPOSE

Customer Question

IF YOU RESIDE IN A RETIREMENT HOME AND THEY SUDDENLY IMPOSE AN ADDITIONAL $16,000/MONTH ADDITIONAL CHARGE ON YOU FOR 24 HOUR PERSONAL CARE SERVICE WORKER, DO YOU HAVE TO GIVE A 30 DAY NOTICE TO MOVE?
JA: Was this discussed with a manager, HR, or an attorney?
Customer: NO.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: BY WHO?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Could you explain a little more?

What are the terms of your agreement with regard to increasing the rent and notice given to resident?

Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I REALLY D NOT KNOW OF ANY AGREEMENT WE MAY HAVE SIGNED WHEN MOVING IN. I MOVED IN ABOUT 3 AND A HALF YEARS AGO, AND MY FEMALE FRIEND OF 85 YEARS, MOVED INTO HER OWN SINGLE ROOM WITH BATH, ;AST DEC 1ST. THE PROCESS OF MOVING, I SUPPOSE, CAUSED HER TO FALL WHILE WALKING HER DOG IN THE MORNING. ON HER FIRST 3 CONSECUTIVE MORNINGS. SHE DID CONTINUE TO FALL AT TIMES IN HER ROOM AND CAUSED HER ARM TO BLEED TOWARD THE END OF MARCH. AROUND APR. 5, THEY ORDERED A FULL-TIME SERVICE PERSON TO BE WITH HER AT A COST OF $16,000/MONTH. SHE IS MUCH MORE NORMAL NOW AND WE ARE LOOKING FOR ANOTHER PLACE TO LIVE. SHE PAYS $3100/MO PLUS THE $16,000/MO. I PAY $3700/MO. I SUPPOSE THAT WOULD REQUIRE AT LEAST A 30 DAY NOTICE.

Thank you for the information. I am so sorry to read about your friend, but I am relieved that she is fairing much better.

Your Question:

Response: Whether she has to give a 30-day notice would depend on the agreement. However, if the management did not give her at least 30-day notice before imposing the additional $16,000.000 a month charge for personal care assistance, then she does not have to give 30-day notice to vacate the premises.

Best wishes,

<p style="margin-top:2.5pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:2.5pt;margin-left:
0in;line-height:12.5pt">A 5-star rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive proper credit for responding to your post. Kindly use the popup screen to give the rating. There is no additional cost to you for giving a 5-star rating. <p style="margin-top:2.5pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:2.5pt;margin-left:
0in;line-height:12.5pt">

Thank you for your cooperation.