LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

I adopted a dog 4 years ago while in a relationship. We

Customer Question

Hi!! I adopted a dog 4 years ago while in a relationship. We split up over a year ago, however she is now not allowing me access to her
JA: Have any papers been filed in family court?
Customer: Nothing has been filed
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: We had a verbal understanding initially.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We also have a written contract in which she owes me 3k+ when I bailed her out from her not paying her rent. I know... Sounds very ghetto lol
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 4 months ago.
Good evening. Was it agreed that there would be shared ownership of the dog or were you the one that adopted it?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I adopted her. Paid all of the fees...have paid her insurance. I filled-out all of the paperwork and wrote the adoption essay. She was the co-adopter however
Thank you for the reply. If she was a co-adopter and on the paperwork she likely had a shared ownership with you of the dog. However, it does not mean she can withhold the dog from you as you have a legal right and interest to it as well. Even thought it is an animal and you love it the court would view the dog as property. As such, if she refuses to allow you to see the dog you would need to sue her and essentially ask for shared custody of the dog. If she was not on any paperwork you could argue the dog is yours but if there is something that says she adopted the dog as well that argument may fail.