Tina, beenwill be married 6 years this August. I was married…

Customer Question
Hi Tina, beenwill be...

Hi Tina, beenwill be married 6 years this August. I was married before and my wife passed away. I bough my house with my previous wife. My new wife's name is ***** ***** the house. My current wife has not put anything into the house. She has given me $200 a week toward expenses, which is a small percentage of the house expenses. I also paid her car payment with the money she gave me. I would give her some money, but what am I legally responsible to do. I still work. She is retired on social security. I live in Stony Brook, New York

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

This New York, this is for a divorce, she leases the car

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
4/1/2017
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 1 year ago

This would be separate premarital property in a divorce property settlement.You owned it prior to marriage and that has not changed since you did not refinance or add her to the deed.The small amount she paid here would not change that she was getting to live there as a guest.If you divorce the court will award this to you as separate property in the property settlement.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 1 year ago

Separate property is not divided when a couple divorces. Instead, each spouse gets to keep his or her own separate property, except to the extent that the other spouse has contributed to its increase in value. Separate property includes:

• property either spouse acquired before marriage
  • property either spouse received individually as an inheritance or gift, except from the other spouse
  • compensation for personal injuries to either spouse
  • any property characterized as separate property in a valid prenuptial agreement or other written contract, and
  • property acquired from the proceeds or appreciation in value of separate property, unless that appreciation is partly due to the efforts or contributions of the other spouse.

http://www.divorcenet.com/states/new_york/nyfaq04#