An in-law worked in Portugal many years ago. Has been a US…

Customer Question
Good morning. Lawyer's Assistant:...

Good morning.

Lawyer's Assistant: Hello. What seems to be the problem?

An in-law worked in Portugal many years ago. Has been a US citizen now for decades, retired and now in his 80's. We just found out that he has been receiving a distribution from the former portugese employer in the form of a pension. For the last 16 years, he has not declared this income and we would like to know if he now has a problem. He is a Florida resident. Many thanks.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That 's it.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 5 days by:
3/30/2017
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 1 year ago

Yes there were probably overpayments from social security.You report this and his social security stops for awhile to pay it all back.You can take the chance they don't find it since they haven't in the prior years here,But it definitely should have been reported and social security reduced.He may decide at this point to keep drawimg and take his chances but thats a judgment call.

Reference to reporting

https://www.ssa.gov/international/wep_intro.html

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

If you can psotive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.