Can the police take my dna from a cup i drank water from to…

Customer Question
Can the police take...

Can the police take my dna from a cup i drank water from to test on a gun

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

NY 2016

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes i was arrested an indicted

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/23/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney with Just Answer. I'll be here to help today! Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

By the way, the system will automatically ask for a phone call. By no means are you required to accept it.

Ok, so the answer to your question is probably yes. Usually, the police need a warrant before they can collect something like DNA. However, some courts have said that a warrant for collecting DNA from a cup for people who have not yet been arrested. However, the biggest debate in the courts right now is over a Maryland law that allows police to collect DNA samples from people who've been arrested for a crime, but have not yet been convicted. The theory is that incarcerated people already forfeit a certain number of Fourth Amendment protections. It is still up in the air, but this is something you may want to tell your lawyer to argue on your behalf that taking the DNA without a warrant was in violation of the 4th Amendment.

Let me know if you have any additional questions, thanks for using Just Answer!

Also, it’s the worst part of my job to ask, but would you be able to provide me with your opinion of my service? It helps both me and Just Answer get better on figuring out how to serve you. Remember, follow up questions in this thread are free!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you!

Oh it's not a problem at all. I'm sorry you're having to deal with that. Come back to this thread if you have any more trouble.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Your service was what I basically read online. It was very helpful. Not worth the $5.00 though.

Ok, well thank you for coming to the site. I'll put your question back out into the question bank so another expert may be able to help you out:-)