Applied for two loans through two different companies. I…

Customer Question
Applied for two loans...

Applied for two loans through two different companies. I live on social security disability and retirement disability. When I filled out the apps I put that down as my in come. I also had a part time job where I get paid every 10 weeks. I was not aware that loan companies could not take their payments from SS. However I have been told they should have known even if I didn't. Now my loans have been sold to a collection agency who are trying to get the money back. I have since been told by a lawyer to get a prepaid card that shows only SS and retirement disabilities. My part time job every ten weeks brings in around 400. I cannot afford their payments on this . I sent the companies cease and desist letters. But not collection is coming after me. What can I do. Please advise

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Nevada

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

The letters just state that my accounts have been sold to a collection agency I have 30 days to dispute the debt if I respond and refute debt they will verify the debt and send me a copy of the judgement against me

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Loans companies know they cannot garnish SS disabilities or retirement disabilities. I was up front with them but I feel I was taken advantage of. I know I am not entitled to any paid monies I just want it settled and be done with

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
3/22/2017
Lawyer: John, Attorney replied 1 year ago
John, Attorney

The debt isn't invalid or illegal for them to attempt to collect from you. Rather, it's that they have next to zero chance from ever being able to collect it, even if they were to sue you and get a judgment for the debt. I would recommend you re-send the cease and desist letter telling them simply to stop contacting you. Do this with certified mail return receipt requested. If they continue to contact you trying to collect the debt, then that's a violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, and you can then sue them for damages. In particular under the FDCPA, attorney fees are an available remedy, so many consumer lawyers will take such a case.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. If you do not rate the answer positively, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.