Upon discovering debt collections in a recent credit report…

Upon discovering debt collections in...
Upon discovering debt collections in a recent credit report of mine from numerous collection agencies near $11,000.00 in collections and stretching back three years, I am working toward a solution. I was never informed and/or made aware of any outstanding or late bills let alone collections until viewing my credit report recently. In other words, this amount owing has never before been brought to my attention and to whom(s) it is due. Therefore, I find it essential to discover the validity of said collections. I am looking to be advised on the proper tactic in reference the recommended steps to take. I suspect the debts are past medical services received for which insurance was liable for instead of me. I look forward to your professional insight to handling this in the least expense and most effective way possible toward clearing my credit.
3/22/2017
AttyHeather
AttyHeather, Lawyer

Hi! I'm Heather. I've been a practicing attorney for the last 15 years, and I'd be happy to assist you for informational and educational purposes.

There are many reasons why you might not have gotten notice of the debt. Most often, the customer moves and fails to update the address with the service provider. I'm not saying that is what happened to you. However, if the debt is a valid debt, meaning you did benefit from or receive the services, it won't invalidate the debt by you saying you did not get the bill.

I would suggest that you contact the creditor and tell them that you noticed the past due debt. I would suggest trying to settle the debt for a lump sum that is less than the actual amount of the debt. Many times, after a debt is in collections, the creditor will accept a much reduced amount. I'd probably start the negotiation at about $3,000 (knowing they will want more, but occasionally, the creditor will take almost anything.). You'll want to make sure that there is a contract stating that the amount you pay constitutes payment in full of all amounts you owe for or related to that debt. Also, you might mention that you are considering bankruptcy. Even if you are not, creditors usually get nervous when bankruptcy is mentioned, because if the debt is discharged in bankruptcy because you cannot afford to pay the amount they want, then they would get nothing. Certainly, $3,000 (or some amount less than $11,000) is better for the creditor, than getting nothing.

Let me know if this helps?e

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Dear AttyHeather,Thank you for your reply. I found the information useful. Regarding this case, I'd hoped to cover this in the first message. The debt is spread among six collection agencies as it probably pertains to various involuntary ER visits. I carried medical insurance at the time. It was liable for all of my medical expenses. Therefore, had I been made aware of these bills at the due time they would/could have been properly handled and covered by insurance. At this later stage, it seems reasonable to ask the collections agencies to validate the debts they have toward me. Hence, a few things can occur: one is clarity about which facilities originally provided service; while discovering the involved health organizations, it also provides opportunity to learn why the failure to bill insurance; Third, confirmation about the charges; Fourth, there is (please correct if wrong) that if the agencies can't, won't or fail in response to a request for validation of debts, then it (debts) has to be removed by the credit reporting agencies. This, of course would ultimately solve the problem at hand. Please advise. Thank you for you attention to this matter!
Jeffrey Stephens

Yes, you are always proper to ask the debt collector for verification that the debt is a valid debt - this would include any contracts that you signed and an itemization of charges. If the debt collector does not have any proof of the debt, then yes you can dispute the debt with the credit reporting agencies.

The debt collector may not know why the bills were not billed to insurance, and/or maybe they did bill to insurance, but insurance denied the claim. Ultimately, you are responsible whether or not the insurance pays, but definitely you should inquire if they know why the insurance either was not billed or did not pay. If I were you, I would also follow up with the insurance company, and I would also attempt to submit the claim myself to see if the claims might still be paid.

AttyHeather
AttyHeather, Lawyer