I got a dui on a friday told boss on sunday afternoon was…

Customer Question
I got a dui...

I got a dui on a friday told boss on sunday afternoon was let go on monday do to having a cdl even tho employer had non cdl work i could of done instead

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Pa.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

As unemployment? boss said it wouldnt go thru so didnt try

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just want to know because i have no imcome now at all

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
3/21/2017
Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Marsha411JD, Attorney

Thank you for the information. I don't see where you asked a question, but I will assume that you are asking if you have any recourse for being let go. If that is not your question, please ask it so that I can address the issue you want addressed. if that is your question then the answer is no, unless the employer violated a term contract that prohibited termination in this situation or you were terminated, not because of the DUI, but because of your race, national origin, age (over 40), gender, disability, religion, pregnancy or military service. That is because Pennsylvania is an employment "at will" state, which means that employers can terminate an employee for any, or no, reason and with no notice or warning, unless, as mentioned, a contract violation or unlawful discrimination.

Your employer had no duty to put you in a different position. All that said, you should definitely apply for unemployment benefits. The employer doesn't make the decision about your benefits, the State does. He can object and you might be initially denied those benefits, but you can appeal and then the employer will have to prove that you violated a workplace rule or could not do your job through your own fault. There is a good chance he will be successful, however, you should still try as it will not cost you anything to apply.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the ratings box on this page of my efforts to explain the law to you, then the Site will give me credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 21st. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.