My husband died in 2015, leaving no will and his name only…

Customer Question
My husband died in...

My husband died in 2015, leaving no will and his name only on the title to our house. I went thru probate and the house is now mine. I want to sell it but have no idea how to get it into my name. The title co. said they have nothing to do with that and I will probably have to go to a lawyer which I cannot afford to do. Can u help me?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I don't know what u mean

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/21/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney with Just Answer. I'll be here to help today! Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

By the way, the system will automatically ask for a phone call. By no means are you required to accept it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Go ahead, but I will not talk on the phone.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
where's my answer
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
is anybody there? are u going to answer my question online or not

I apologize. I am typing your answer now.

So the answer to your question is that all you need to do is go to your local office supply store or look online for a copy of a quitclaim deed. On the quitclaim deed, you will be able to fill out your information, your parent's information, the date that the transfer became effective (e.g. the date the will was officially probated), and sign it. You would then take it to your local county recorder's office to make sure that the title is officially recorded in their books. You may need to provide proof that the home was gifted to you in the will so if you have a probate order, you should be able to attach that. Once you have it officially recorded by your county, then you can send a copy of the deed back to the title company and they will have you as the owner of record.

Let me know if you have any additional questions, thanks for using Just Answer!

Also, it’s the worst part of my job to ask, but would you be able to provide me with your opinion of my service? It helps both me and Just Answer get better on figuring out how to serve you. Remember, follow up questions in this thread are free!