I need an annulment as soon as possible. I'm in. They are…

Customer Question
I need an annulment...

I need an annulment as soon as possible.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I'm in Virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes they are very abusive

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/21/2017
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 1 year ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. There needs to be a legal basis, for a marriage to be annulled.

For a marriage to be annulled in Virginia, a spouse needs a legal ground (or reason) for annulment. Each of the following is a legal ground for annulment in Virginia:

• Bigamy – a spouse already has a husband or wife at the time of marriage
  • Incest – the spouses are related, closer than first cousins
  • Incompetent – one spouse wasn’t mentally able to understand the marriage
  • Fraud – a spouse only agreed to marry because of the other spouse’s deception
  • Impotence – one spouse is unable to engage in sexual relations
  • Underage – one spouse is under the legal age to be married
  • Prostitute or felon – one spouse didn’t tell the other they were a prostitute or convicted felon
  • Child by other person – a wife is pregnant by another man at the time of marriage or a husband has a child by another woman within 10 months of marriage
  • Duress – one spouse only married because of force or fear of serious harm, and
  • Sham marriage – the spouses got married for other intentions besides the normal purposes of marriage.

If none of these are present, you would have to file for divorce.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!