I am a licensed Clinical Social Worker in GA I have a 14year…

Customer Question
I am a licensed...

I am a licensed Clinical Social Worker in GA I have a 14year old client whose mom is a recent convert as a Jehovah's Witness. She is demanding my client convert and the girl does not want to. The girl is cutting her arms and tried to talk to her mom and new step-dad but they tell her until she converts she is not allowed to talk to them or her three brothers. Her birth father is out of the picture. She does have a paternal aunt who lives in the north, who is willing for her to come live with her. My client turns 14 in 3 months. In GA at 14 a child can petition to live with another parent. I don't know about an aunt, an out of state aunt. I also don't know how she should go about getting help. She has told me about leaving the house in freezing weather and not being allowed back in. ( I was just told about it and have no evidence. Were I to call DFCS they would do nothing but make her parents more angry. Help

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No this has just come to my attention and I wanted to find out what rights she had before I made things worse for her.

Lawyer's Assistant: This sounds important. The lawyer will definitely help you with this. I'm going to connect you with a lawyer who has 8775 happy customers and a 4.6 out of 5 Rating. Anything else we should know before I connect you?

I believe I have said it all.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
3/21/2017
Lawyer: Gerald, Esq, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am working on your answer now. You have a difficult and complicated situation. It may take a few minutes to type. Please bear with me.

If you see a phone call request please know that it is generated by the system not by me. Please do not feel obligated to accept the phone call request – it is optional. If you DO want a phone call let me know and I can arrange it. That way you are sure to get me.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

This is a very difficult and delicate situation.

Under Georgia Law you are obligated to file a report to DCFS under the Mandated Reporter Law - O.C.G.A. §19-7-5 (2016).

See this link and the language of the Law.

https://oca.georgia.gov/mandated-reporting

It is difficult because of the religious issues. It would be very good for you not to focus on that motivation of the parents when you make a report.

As far as the out of State Aunt, DCFS is obligated to try to place the child with family whenever possible. Certainly if the Aunt contact DCFS they can help expedite that process. Also the Aunt may wish to file a Petition in Georgia County Court where the child resides petitioning for emergency custody of a neglected child.

This would be the best chance for the child to get into a safe situation.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer