I am currently renting a home in NJ, the landlord refuses to…

Customer Question
I am currently renting...

I am currently renting a home in NJ, the landlord refuses to listen to anything I have said about any repairs, I have put out about $6300 probaly closer to $7,000 on repairs, I started withholding rent, I owe $5,200 as of this week, I explained to her that I will pay my back rent when she pays me for the major repairs I had to pay for, I've told her in person about every repair , she has been here 6 times in the last 3 days, she has threatened me saying I have 3 days to get out, she then brought her husband or boyfriend here with while he screamed in my face and they stated that when I least expect it they are going to send

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

4 black people those weren't the words they used it was the N word, and then said I better pray my two young kids aren't here when they come, I'm 22 I have a 4 and 1 year old I'm scared to move out my door

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Nj

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No she said try calling the police I know people, she is currently outside right now, I don't know what to do I'm literally scared for my children's lives as well as my own

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just what can I do I can't afford to be out of here right at this moment I've spent everything I had saved on repairs

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
3/21/2017
Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Attorney replied 1 year ago
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
I am sorry this happened. I will do the following: 1. suggest options for pursuing a case 2. preparation tactics 3. way to find a local lawyer if you still wish to involve one but can save on fees by following steps 1 and 2If you sue in court you may end up with a judgment. The judgment generally allows you to levy on bank accounts, lien real estate and work with the sheriff office civil enforcement division. Many lawsuits result in settlement - which expect the judge to encourage.You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.If I can clarify or explain anything further, just ask me. kindly rate me 5 stars.