If I am thinking of a divorce and my husband's name is on…

Customer Question
If I am thinking...

If I am thinking of a divorce and my husband's name is ***** ***** mortgage and mine is not but it is on the deed , do I need to get my name on the mortgage if we are going to split the mortgage payment?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No not yet! He also works for an American company but works out of the country!

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He is putting money away in Abu Dhabi

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
3/21/2017
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 1 year ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. If part of the divorce settlement/agreement, is going to be that you share in the mortgage payments, that can be agreed to and ordered by the court. To be honest, if you go on the mortgage, you would be liable if if it is not paid and right now, only he would be liable. As such, you could be afforded some protection, with your credit. Now, it may be court ordered, if he asks for it, that the loan be refinanced and placed in both names, if shared ownership will remain but that is up to the Judge to decide.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!