Can a child, age 17, refuse to go back to his fathers

Customer Question
Can a child, age...

Can a child, age 17, refuse to go back to his fathers custedey when he has been abused?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

The abruse has gone on for awile but has esculated now. We have called child service once but they believed the father. We have the text messages he sent my grandson that are very threatening. he

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My grandson has stated he would commit suicide if he has to go back. Today my daughter got a call claiming to be the IRS and that there is a warrent out for her arrest for claming brandon on her taxes but she has the pappers to prove he left her claim him. My daughter just called the Irs and found out it was a scam that they don'tdo that. My geuss is it was his father that had someone call claiming to be the IRS. My grandson just called me from school and is so upset that he now is scared to leave school in case his father shows up there.

Lawyer's Assistant: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.

Now what do we do?

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
3/21/2017
Lawyer: WALLSTREETFIGHTER, Attorney replied 1 year ago
WALLSTREETFIGHTER

A child at 17 is not an adult as per the law, however, if he goes into a family court his judgment will be given great weight by a Judge, and in most cases will allow him to move.

If the child moves in with you now, without going to court to change the custody, he could do that, just be aware the Parent could go to Court and have the original custody arrangement enforced, however even in this situation, the child being*****should not enforce any Parents request.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask, if satisfied please provide us with positive feedback, so we can receive credit.