Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

Currently, my SSN and Passport have different last names,

Hi Yes! Currently, my SSN and Passport have different last names
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Live in NY, have a FL drivers license
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

What is your question about this?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm trying to consolidate all my names to match exactly how it appears on my SSN.Currently, my US passport has a hyphenated last name, and my license also has this hyphenated last name. I want all my documents to to appear just like my SSN, which doesn't have this hyphenation
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm getting married in NYC on April 3rd, and it seems I have an option to "change my name" in this process. Can I change my name via the marriage route, and then just use the marriage license as an official document of a name change, and then change the passport?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Or do I still need to go thru a court and name change procedure?

You can use the marriage license to change from the name on your driver's license to the name on your SSN.

You can also change the name on your passport using the marriage license if the current name on it is the same as what's o your driver's license.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks! So no need to change anything with the Social Security office, because I would be getting the last name as shown on the SSN

Right. You're not changing that name.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you!

You're welcome!

Please rate my answer positively to ensure I get credit for the time I spend helping. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you.