Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

A freind of mine signed a contract with me for a timeshare.

A freind of mine signed a contract with me for a timeshare. She stated if I made the monthly payments she would reimburse me her half for the year once a year. In four years she has only paid $200, I have paid $207 every month along with a once $785 for maintenance fees. Do I have a case to take her to court to reimburse me half? I asked her to pay her share up to date then remove her name from the lease and she would not incur any more charges.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Unless you have a written contract with her in place, then her statement is not enforceable. It has to be in writing. Assuming there is no written contract between the two of you, she is liable (as you are) to the other party for any nonpayment, however, you cannot enforce your personal agreement with her unless there is a written contract in place.

This is because of two reasons:

1) She can simply deny it ever took place, and

2) Contracts for more than a year in duration have to be in writing to be enforceable. See PA's statutes § 2201 (Title 13, Commercial Code).

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved rudeness or wrong information. Please be kind!

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of THREE OR MORE STARS and then click FINISH to submit that rating, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating (it does not cost anything extra to rate).

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
We have a signed contract by the both of us for this timeshare