How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Eagle Your Own Question
Legal Eagle
Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 5169
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Legal Eagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Someone unknown to me has started a petition on social media

This answer was rated:

Someone unknown to me has started a petition on social media (FB) to remove me because they don't agree with my stance against body shaming. She has spread lies, and her followers enhance the story and keep spreading the hate. I have mental health issues I have been dealing with for years, and this slander is taking its toll. Is there any way to legally deal with this issue?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state you're in?
Customer: Minnesota. She resides in Florida
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not that I am aware of. She has a petition and 2 YouTube videos filled with false information. I'm getting bullied by her and her followers....I can't take this any longer
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My followers have been just as hateful, but I haven't. I've asked everyone to stop, but its just getting worse. I block people because I don't want or need to see the hate. she blocks people who point out the truth. I know this sounds childish, but it is effecting my mental health. I haven't been suicidal in a long time, but this is pushing it

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney with Just Answer. I'll be here to help today! Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this. Ok, so it seems like you may have an issue of defamation on your hands. What defamation means is that there is a false and defamatory statement, published to a third party, by a defendant, that causes harm to the plaintiff. The plaintiff could receive damages in a lawsuit for defamation if the plaintiff required medical or mental health treatment as a result of the defamatory communications and the plaintiff is also entitled to recover damages for his/her health care bills and expenses, just like in a regular personal injury case. You could also recover from lost earnings as well. Lost earnings and lost earning capacity refer to the earnings (i.e., wages or salary) that the victim lost or will lose -- past, present, and future -- as a result of the defamation. Lost earnings and lost earning capacity also includes any employment benefits such as health insurance, vacation time, pension or 401(k) contributions, and the like that the victim may have lost. So, if you are able to prove those elements of defamation in court, you could be given some compensation for the trouble you've gone through.

Let me know if you have any additional questions, thanks for using Just Answer!

Also, it’s the worst part of my job to ask, but would you be able to provide me with your opinion of my service? It helps both me and Just Answer get better on figuring out how to serve you. Remember, follow up questions in this thread are free!

Legal Eagle and 8 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

You're too kind, thank you!