John, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed and practicing attorney.
71296933

We currently have an HSA account where my employer

We currently have an HSA account where my employer contributes to. I carry the insurance on my husbands 2 boys along with our children together. My husband's ex-wife took his son to allergist and the balance due is $450. We currently pay 55% of the non-covered medical bills and she pays 45%. She thinks that since we have an HSA savings, she doesn't have to pay anything towards the bill. Do you know if we have to cover 100% just because my employer ads funds to the HSA account?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: ohio
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: We just received the bill from the doctor. In the divorce decree we pay 55% and she pays 45% of the bill.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that I can think of. I just need clarification that we don't have to pay 100% of the bill.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She claims that since we have a family plan, and the non-covered portion goes towards our family deductible, that she is not responsible for our deductible, only co-pays. But, this would be considered a co-pay in a sense because it's a non-covered portion of the bill.

The ex-wife’s argument makes zero sense. In their divorce decree it states somewhere their respective liability for out of pocket medicals in very simple terms – his is 55% hers is 45%. Absent their being a clause that states unless there is available $ in the HSA to cover, then husband has to pay more than 55% - there’s no legal authority for her position. The co-pay argument also makes zero sense. In other words – out of pocket cost is out of pocket cost. I’m sure the decree doesn’t say unless one of you has a family plan in which case the opposite party must contribute less. Unfortunately, if she’s not going to pay her share, then he has to file a motion with the court to enforce that.
I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.