How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 28318
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I throw out of the house my 18 year old son who is on

This answer was rated:

Can I throw out of the house my 18 year old son who is on drugs, not working, or going to school?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: minnesota
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: he has been in and out of the house for the past 8 months or so. He is known by the police but never charged
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Now that he is 18, you have no obligation to allow him to live in your house and under your roof, if he will not follow your rules. As such, you can give him the proper notice to vacate and if he fails to move, proceed through the court and have him evicted. You can not use self help to get him out because if you do, he may turn around and sue you. Moreover, if he is on drugs and you are worried, you can call the police and have him removed from the home, by the police.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

LegalKnowledge and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What you mean by proper notice?

By that, I mean a 30 day notice to vacate or 60 day notice, to give him time to leave the home. He still resides there and can not just be thrown out and is entitled to time to leave, depending on how much you want to give him

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I was wondering if I can give him less than 30 days, more like 14 days and if I have any other leagal obligations to provide for him anything else while he is in the house

You could try and give him that notice and simply demand that he leave. You can tell him you want him out in 14 days and see if he agrees to vacate. What I am saying is that if he refuses, the proper notice needs to be given, so the Judge is likely going to want to see at least a 30 day notice

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** to do things the right way

I understand and I am sorry yoiu even have to deal with this from your son

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I hope this is my last question, but in 30 days after notice have been delivered if he refuses to leave can I just deny him an entrance

No, you can not, since that would be a form of self help, which is illegal and he could turn around and sue you

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you
You are welcone