How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 28324
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can an addition or change be made to a court order

This answer was rated:

Can an addition or change be made to a court order unilaterally by an attorney over the phone with her client?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the court order was issued in?
Customer: Michigan
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No. She states only a phone call.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: It's a visitation issue with my son.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. Can you please share with me a little more about what happened?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The mother of my son now claims that her attorney told her over the phone that nobody else could visit with my son during my visitation. This was not in the original court order from April, 2016. Currently my visitation is supervised by her.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I can't afford a call

Thank you for the reply. No, an attorney can not simply change a court order. It would either need to be agreed to by the parties or ordered by the Judge. A motion would need to be filed for this to happen and it would need to be heard. Now, the current order that is in place will control. If nothing is said about this, they could not just demand it or impose it, since it was not ordered by the Judge.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That is true in Michigan?

Yes. I do not see how the attorney could simply change the court order without filing a motion and have it ruled upon by the Judge.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok. I know it "intuitively" seemed that way to me. However, the changes she claims her attorney is making come across with so much force from her that I had to make sure she was making them up. Thank you! I'm satisfied.

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Will do

Thank you again

LegalKnowledge and 9 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you