I have a question, about financial elderly abuse. Can

Customer Question
I have a question...

I have a question, about financial elderly abuse. Can anything be done if you find out after the death of the person? My grandma just passed away and my mom just found out that her brother has been taking a lot of money from her mom. But my grandma put her sons name on her banking account with her. So i'm being told that since... Read full answer

I have a question, about financial elderly abuse. Can anything be done if you find out after the death of the person? My grandma just passed away and my mom just found out that her brother has been taking a lot of money from her mom. But my grandma put her sons name on her banking account with her. So i'm being told that since she did that it would be just like his account to and he had the right to the money.

Lawyer's Assistant: I'm the Lawyer's Assistant. I work with them to help customers like you. What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

FL

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No we just found out and are going through the bank statements

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He has been taking money out of the account $400.00-$500.00 atm at a time for a long time

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/3/2017
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

But my grandma put her sons name on her banking account with her. So i'm being told that since she did that it would be just like his account to and he had the right to the money.

.

Unfortunately, this is correct. If she added son as a joint account holder, then either of them could use the money in the account for whatever they wanted. And when she passed, her ownership extinguishes and he would become the sole owner of the account and anything in it.

.

This is a common way that people ensure that they avoid having assets go through probate because when one joint owner dies, the survivor becomes the instant sole owner of any assets that were jointly titled.

.

I am sorry, but if she added him to the account, then I don't see anything that was illegal or actionable here..

.

.

thanks

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I would like to learn more about how to report Elder
Second opinion] Good evening, I would like to learn more about how to report Elder Financial Abuse and Exploitation. I lost my father prior to the Thanksgiving holidays and just found out the woman he… read more
Attorney,
IF MY 91 YEAR OLD MOTHER HAS AN BANK ACCOUNT WITH ME. IS IT
HELLO ***** 91 YEAR OLD MOTHER HAS AN BANK ACCOUNT WITH ME. IS IT WRONG IF WE TRANSFER MONIES TO DIFFERENT ACCOUNTS AND THEN I GO TO A TELLER OR A ATM TO GET MONIES OUT TO PAY FOR BILLS OR WHATEVER MY… read more
Lori
Lori
My father passed 1 month ago and I believe my father was
My father passed 1 month ago and I believe my father was being abused by the caretaker. He told me about how he felt and situations that made him feel like he wasn't safe. It started right after the c… read more
Stop searching for answers—
I lived with my Grandpa and Grandma, and I helped care for
I lived with my Grandpa and Grandma, and I helped care for my Grandma. My Grandpa died December 21, 2015. I continued living with Grandma. She had dementia. I took my grandma to her regular check-up i… read more
Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley
retired,
My dad passed in1996.he had a will and my sis lizz and my
My dad passed in1996.he had a will and my sis lizz and my brother James was chosen the exoctores. I wasn't told nothing about going to the will reading. I know the house was to be sold and mom got mon… read more
Attorney,
California-My mother's bank added five beneficiaries to her
California-My mother's bank added five beneficiaries to her account, deleted five beneficiaries from the account and in the end added one beneficiary. All this occurred within hours of her death. Two … read more
Attorney,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
Scenio: Elder Financial Abuse in California: My Mom named my
Scenio: Elder Financial Abuse in California: My Mom named my brother on her savings and checking accounts years ago in case something happened to her. She made several loans to my brother with the mut… read more
Attorney,
Father is 78 yrs old. had stroke in February 2012. oldest
father is 78 yrs old. had stroke in February 2012. oldest son was there to set up in home care for father. was told he had legal guardianship over father. in november 2014 father stated that his money… read more
Can someone explain what kind of crime has occurred here, if
Can someone explain what kind of crime has occurred here, if any.....when my mom passed away we found out, based on bank records, that a relative, in the days before my mom died, wrote out checks to t… read more
Joseph
Joseph
Attorney at Law,
Our cousin runs/owns a care home. Our 90 yr old Grandma lives
Our cousin runs/owns a care home. Our 90 yr old Grandma lives in that care home. The cousin is also her Granddaughter. My husband and I have medical and financial power of attorney for Grandma. The co… read more
Lawyer,
What would my first steps be in reporting elder abuse, which
What would my first steps be in reporting elder abuse, which is financial and just plain not meeting her needs as a POA in charge?… read more
Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer
My brother has had durable power of attorney since my mother
My brother has had durable power of attorney since my mother began exhibiting dementia. In the past four years, CDs, bank accounts and other assets have been transferred to his personnal accounts. She… read more
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
Stop searching for answers—
My widowed elderly mother is the victim of financial abuse.
My widowed elderly mother is the victim of financial abuse. My sister, who did NOT have POA added herself to my mothers bank accounts, and pretty much cleaned her out financially. My mother and father… read more
I live in Washington State and received a phone call today
I live in Washington State and received a phone call today from a Investigator for Elderly abuse in reference to my grandmother. The case was pushed forward from my brother being jealous that my grand… read more
Attorney,
In Feb. this year I went to see my mom who s 85. I was prevented
In Feb. this year I went to see my mom who"s 85. I was prevented from going to visit because my nephew who lived with her was a very unstable man. He did not work spent my moms money on liquor and cig… read more
John Legal
John Legal
Hello, You gave me clear and concise, honest opinions/answers
Hello, You gave me clear and concise, honest opinions/answers when I asked for help in December. I'm wondering if you might be able to give me a little more feedback on how I can help my mom-in-law wi… read more
Attorney,
My Mom died and left a Will naming myself as executor. But
My Mom died and left a Will naming myself as executor. But a year before my mom died, my Brother started depleting her bank account. He probably made the bank account a joint account. I have filed the… read more
Jack R.
Jack R.
Partner,
if my elderly mother has put our house in a trust for me ...
if my elderly mother has put our house in a trust for me and my brother does this protect the house from the probate courts and the bank taking it? because she is the only one on the loan or deed, and… read more
Semi-Retired; Part-Time Consultant,