Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Can a public defender file a counter suit? New Jersey. A…

Customer Question
Can a public defender...

Can a public defender file a counter suit?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

New Jersey

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes, a defamation case

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This is actually for a friend that is too busy to do this.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Legal
3/2/2017
Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Attorney replied 11 months ago
RobertJDFL, Attorney

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good morning,

A public defender only represents people in criminal matters. Defamation is a civil, not criminal claim, so your friend would need a different attorney to handle such a case.

Was there anything I could clarify about my answer or additional information you needed? If so, please reply without rating and I'll be happy to assist further!

Otherwise, If I've addressed all of your questions regarding this matter, please remember to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars so I am credited for my time. Experts receive no salary and are otherwise not paid until you rate the answer positively. Thank you!

RobertJDFL, Attorney