How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116712
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I sue a non profit for not providing their financial

Customer Question

Can I sue a non profit for not providing their financial statements as required y state law
JA: Can you tell me where the nonprofit is registered?
Customer: Florida
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I was a member of the board and was appointed to an audit committee. I reported my findings of lack of compliance to state law and they terminated my board membership
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am mainly concerned about my personal liability as a board member due to the illegal and inappropriate actions of other members of the board
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You can sue them for a declaratory judgment, not money damages, to get a court order to force them to release their financials as required by the federal and state non-profit laws. It is generally cheaper reporting them to the Secretary of State and the IRS for non-compliance in failure to make proper financial disclosure and let them pursue the non-profit than it would be for you to hire an attorney (which would be required in FL) to sue for declaratory judgment to get a court order. However, yes, you can sue for the court order to make them release their records.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.