Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Can I sue a non profit for not providing their financial

Customer Question
statements as required y state...
Can I sue a non profit for not providing their financial statements as required y state law
JA: Can you tell me where the nonprofit is registered?
Customer: Florida
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I was a member of the board and was appointed to an audit committee. I reported my findings of lack of compliance to state law and they terminated my board membership
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am mainly concerned about my personal liability as a board member due to the illegal and inappropriate actions of other members of the board
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Legal
2/7/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 9 months ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You can sue them for a declaratory judgment, not money damages, to get a court order to force them to release their financials as required by the federal and state non-profit laws. It is generally cheaper reporting them to the Secretary of State and the IRS for non-compliance in failure to make proper financial disclosure and let them pursue the non-profit than it would be for you to hire an attorney (which would be required in FL) to sue for declaratory judgment to get a court order. However, yes, you can sue for the court order to make them release their records.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney