How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 117401
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

On 2/11/15 I had a pipe burst in my house. My ex and I were

Customer Question

On 2/11/15 I had a pipe burst in my house. My ex and I were separated at the time and he was supposed to be paying the homeowners insurance. He never told me that he dropped the coverage in 2013. I am on SSD.i had to pay the water cooling to shut the water off, a Plummer to fix the pipe (which, because I had very little money caused the heating pipes in the bedroom to be cut off). Because of this, I have no heat in my bedroom, forcing me to live in my living room, kitchen and bath. I am disabled with severe joint issues. living on my couch has been disastrous to my health, not to mention the personal property damage in the bedroom, hallway, and living room. I want to sue my ex for the repaired to the pipes, loss of personal belongings, and pain and suffering for having to sleep on my couch for 2yrs which has exasperated my multiple serious medical problems.
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am sorry to hear this happened to you. This is a property damage claim, which means under PA law, you cannot seek pain and suffering or emotional damages. You can seek damages only based on the actual losses you suffered. So you can sue him for all of the repairs and the damage caused and loss of your property, but not for sleeping on the sofa for 2 years. You need to hurry and file suit if it has not yet been 2 years since this happened, because there is only a 2 year statute of limitations to sue for property damage under PA law.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.