Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My late husband successfully handled a workers compensation

Customer Question
case for a long...
My late husband successfully handled a workers compensation case for a long standing client of a colleague. My husband did not sign a retainer agreement with the client. The client filed an appeal and is suing his attorney
((Referring colleague) and my husband, who is dead. Before my husband died.he filed motion to quash service since he was at work on date of alleged service and was never served papers by process server. I went to court as personal rep of my husband estate to address open motion and judge issued a memo that A substitute party motion was necessary before the motion could be entertained. Should I put my name down as widow or PR of estate as substitute party or do nothing? I do not want the client going after monies that come into the estate that ultimately belong to me because of my ignorance of the role my husband played in this case any any underlying motivation of greed and taking advantage of the dead by the client
.
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
2/2/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 10 months ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You need to substitute yourself as a party as administrix of the estate. Since you are administrix of the estate, you have the legal right to represent the estate in the event it is sued as it is being sued now by this client.
At this point, since you have no idea what went on, you would not be well advised to handle this yourself and you really should first notify your deceased husband's legal malpractice insurance company as they are supposed to provide coverage and if they will not cover this and defend, then you need to get a local attorney to defend your husband's estate.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Thank you very much. I will follow up on this matter.

Thank you for your reply.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney