I have a court order that states my wife is to have her

Customer Question
I have a court...

I have a court order that states my wife is to have her paycheck garnished to pay me back for her portion of college expenses that I paid when she didn't have her half. She left her job, I found out where she is working, and sent the court order to her new employer. They stated that they don't have to garnish her wages. They need a writ? unsure of spelling

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

She is in florida. the company is Cognizant and they are world wide

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Nothing yet, as it took me a year to find out where she was working. Our son does not want to get involved so he wouldn't tell me where she was now working.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just that she had been paying until Dec 2015 when I got a letter from her employer stating this was the last payment. She still owes $3200.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
Customer reply replied 1 year ago

I have a court order that states my ex-wife is to have her paycheck garnished to pay me back for her portion of college expenses that I paid when she didn't have her half. She left her job, I found out where she is working, and sent the court order to her new employer. They stated that theydon't have to garnish her wages. They need a writ? unsure of spelling

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

2/2/2017
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 1 year ago

Is this a Florida judgment or one from another state?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's a NJ Judgement as jurisdiction was to remain in NJ when she moved to Florida. She worked for one company that had their headquarters in NC and she worked in Florida and this company did garnish her wages. The new company, Cognizant, has their headquarters in NJ, and she continues to work in Florida.
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 1 year ago

You can record this as a foreign judgment in Florida then you are able to garnish wages there.

These are the things you need, they are the same in every county in Florida.

http://www.miami-dadeclerk.com/courts_civil_foreign_judgment.asp

Once you have done this , renew your demand to employer to garnish the wages based on Florida registration of the judgment and the garnishment order.See if that doesn't get you paid.

Thanks for the follow up.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We are not sure the county in which she lives in.
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 1 year ago

You are going to have to skip trace here, send her a letter to last known address and ask for forwarding one.

Mail a letter

Send a letter to the person's last known address. Write "return service requested" on the exterior of the envelope. If the person in question filed a change of address form with his post office, the letter is then returned with their forwarding address.

Check facebook if you can to see where she moved, do some investigating here you need the county to chase her down here and record judgement.