Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I have several pills which I carry in a plastic container

Customer Question
with compartments for AM/PM, for...
I have several pills which I carry in a plastic container with compartments for AM/PM, for seven days. Will I be allowed to take them with me on the plane? Also, I walk with a cane because I had hip surgery. Will I be able to pre-board on Southwest Airlines?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location. Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: New York, flying to Atlanta, GA.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I haven't filed/reported anything about my orthopedic issues because I didn't know how to do so.
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Legal
2/1/2017
Lawyer: ScottyMacEsq, Attorney replied 11 months ago
ScottyMacEsq, Attorney

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

You may bring all needed prescription drugs with you on your flight. This includes liquids. gels and aerosol medications. Some specific types of prescription medications you may need to bring include eye drops, saline solution and petroleum jelly.

The Transportation Safety Administration does not limit the number of prescription drugs that you bring on board with you in your carry-on baggage; however those who bring liquid medicines that are not in bottles of three ounces or less or are not in a one-quart plastic bag must declare to one of the TSA security officers at a checkpoint that they have prescription medication in their luggage. The prescribed medication is subject to being inspected before it may clear security.

When possible, the traveler who brings prescribed medication on a flight should have documentation she can show to TSA employees to help explain why the medication is necessary. Although it is not absolutely required that the name on a prescription matches the name on a passenger's ticket, if these two names do not match, the traveler should be prepared to explain why.

99.9% of the time, on domestic flights, they don't care or check to see any documentation. They know that people travel with prescriptions all the time, and it would take a very long time to check everyone's documentation when it's not necessary.

As far as preboarding, that's up to each individual crew (not even the airlines). But most of the time, especially if you ask for additional time, they'll allow it.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Hello?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions).

If you can't see the stars, you may need to scroll up / down / left / or right to see them. This is where you rate so that the question will close out.

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

ScottyMacEsq, Attorney