Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

Can my boss hire my ex sister in law and have me as her

Customer Question

Can my boss hire my ex sister in law and have me as her supervisor in a retail grocery store?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Pennsylvania
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Have contacted my boss that I feel that it is definitely a personal conflict of interest since my brother and ex sister in law are in the midst of a custody battle over kids.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just wondering if there is any legal action that I can take to take in order to not be made to be her supervisor in the same department.
Expert:  LegalPro54 replied 6 months ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

It's definitely bad management to put you two in close proximity like that, but unfortunately it's not illegal, as employers are not required to take into account personal relationships when making scheduling and hiring decisions. So, I'm afraid to say that the most you can do is reason with your boss and/or HR and try to get them to work around this personal conflict. No law requires them to, though I truly wish I could tell you otherwise.

If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok Thank you for the information and your time in this matter.