How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Eagle Your Own Question
Legal Eagle
Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 2936
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Legal Eagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I have been sparated for 3 years. He is

Customer Question

Hello. My husband and I have been sparated for 3 years. He is paying my bills and giving me a small allowance each week. He has all he mony and is a high wage earner. My allowanceis all h money I have and it is used for groceries, gas and what little else I can squeeze out of it. He lives the easy life and goes on exotic diving trips and wears expensive clothes. I have to beg for anything other than my small allowance. My car is old, 2005 lexus, and has begun to start falling apart. I have called some lawyers to see if he would take my case and petition the court to get payment but I haven't been able to find anyone that would do that. I don't know what I'm going to do! Everyone I've talked to say not to let him know I'm filing because that would give him time to hide money. Also, I am an abused wife and I'm going to counseling. I'm so devastated that a year ago I tried to take my life but obviously I wasn't successful. My counselor told me that I could get 30% to 50% of his income as alimony. What can I do?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Tampa, Florida
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's about it
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am an attorney with Just Answer. I'm so sorry to hear about your situation.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I can't afford the $59.
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 5 months ago.

Here is my recommendation for you in this situation and it won't even require you to have a lawyer.

Ok, so what you can do is you can file for spousal support. In fact, most people never hire lawyers at all for these situations.

Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 5 months ago.

In fact, if you click here, you can fill out this form and file it with the FL court.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There isn't legal separation in Florida
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 5 months ago.

I certainly understand the separation part. But, even if you're married, you can get support.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm not divorced yet. I can't afford a lawyer
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 5 months ago.

The best part is that you absolutely don't need a lawyer to file for divorce and you don't need to be divorced to request support.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok. Thank you
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 5 months ago.

You bet!

Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 5 months ago.

One more thing, in my experience, when you go to the courthouse, the clerk will usually help you identify the correct forms to fill out. The information will then go to a judge, who then will make a judgment on your request. You may have a hearing where you can explain that you were abused and that you are on a limited budget, but it should help.